<< Back to glossary index


Regions of the genome that do not code for the production of proteins but can still have a function such as regulating gene expression.

Use in clinical context

Only 2% of the human genome encodes proteins. The function of the remaining 98% of the genome is not fully understood, but parts are involved in gene regulation and others are important for maintaining the structure of the genome. Analysing these regions can be just as important when applying genomics to a clinical scenario.

Last updated on 29th May, 2019